Thursday, March 12, 2009

JB New Custom- Bangunan Sultan Iskandar






This magnificent looking complex officially went into operation on 16th Dec. Thus, being a bummer and M’sia fan I am, grabbed Alex, who happens to be on his block leave to pay this much debated building a visit the very next day on 17th Dec 2008.
Seriously, I was quite awed by the outlook of this grand architecture! I mean it is even comparable to Changi Airport!! And being in the second day of operation, this place is neat and spotless!
The highly talked about efficiency really needs a boost though. With a bigger building, I took a much longer time to clear through the channels even though the traffic was pretty light. I see no point and so many vehicle gantries when there are only 2 lanes for buses, cars and the in betweens! The jam is totally uncalled for. And the process of immigration clearance seems to take on a more “manual” approach. I was third in the queue but it seems forever before it’s my turn. Apart from the usual scanning of passport, now, they even manually key in your passport number, expiry, and even birth dates!
And another thing to commend is that the complex links directly with City Square. That feels so much safer than having to bypass all the old streets with the old complex. However, the neverending circling route that connects you to mall is a terribly strenuous walk!! It is a super super long road! I have no idea whether this is credited to poor planning, or crowd management strategy. I just think about the elderly who have difficulties in walking, and the Malaysians or Singaporeans who have to travel through this route everyday!!! Try it out and you will know what I mean.All in all, definitely a very successful work of art, but desperately in need of improvements for humanity sake.

No comments: